Sunday, September 4, 2016

Today I temporarily became "Today We" Part 1

Today I gained a travel buddy! I was going to leave Bergen today for Copenhagen, however I decided to extend my stay in Norway and go on an adventure with Matt. He is Norway until Monday and was trying to figure out what to do. We both agreed that we had seen enough of Bergen in one day, and he was thinking about going someplace else in Norway. I decided to join him and together we began thinking of what to do. We decided that we would leave Bergen for a smaller town and then hike to a cabin called Høgabu to stay the night. In Norway the DNT (Den Norske Turistforening: Norwegian Trekking Association), has many unmanned, but well-supplied cabins that people can stay in and use. Matt had heard about Høgabu and it seemed reasonable for us to try to go there. Unlike him, I was not particularly prepared for this trip. So yesterday we decided to do a little shopping in Bergen, and planned our trip. I picked up a few things I knew I would need: waterproof shoes, rain pants (over trousers), and some wool underwear. In hindsight Norway is not the best place to stock up on things (it's so expensive) but it wasn’t too expensive, and I got a great price on the wool underwear since they were 50% off. Matt even picked up a new rucksack. We actually didn't do too much yesterday. Just went shopping and took naps; an easy day. 

Walking around town
 In the past few days I've spent in Norway I've made so many new friends. I've enjoyed listening to their stories and hearing about all of their plans in Norway. Matt and I actually spent most of the time talking at night with two Israeli girls, Shira and Yael.We met them my first night at dinner, and we've spent every night together since then talking about what we've all done that day, and what our plans are for the next. Every night we would pull in new people that arrived or we met, plus the old ones who have stuck around for a bit.


They left to Stockholm this morning and rode the same bus as us into town. We are currently on a train headed out of Bergen to Dale (Da-la), we will then take a bus to Lid (Li), and then hike a few hours to a cabin in the wilderness. There we'll spend the night and then head back to Bergen tomorrow. Yael told us that the Bergen Line is a beautiful train ride. As I sit here Matt is sitting next to the window trying to take pictures, however like she said, there are many tunnels out of Bergen so taking a picture is quite difficult. But when you can grab a good shot it looks amazing.


Since I haven't had wifi in the past 24 hours, there will be many posts coming up! Step count will appear at the end of this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment