Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Today I saw a fox!

Today I saw a fox! After spending one night in Copenhagen I left for Germany. In my final hours in Copenhagen I decided to walk around a bit before I left for airport. I walked to the top of the Round Tower and looked around at the city.






After that I decided to take a walk through the botanical gardens.



Then I hopped on a train towards the airport. However I accidentally got on a the wrong train, so I had to get off and head back to Copenhagen Central Station, and then take the correct train to the airport. A slight misadventure, but at least I got to see what the outskirts of the city looked like. I then flew to Germany where Annette was waiting for me at the airport!!





After catching up with her we went back to her place were I dropped off my stuff. We then headed to a barbecue at her colleague Johannes' house. He was a hunter and had some deer that he hunted as well as other types of meat they were grilling. So I got some German beer, and a home-cooked meal for the first time in a week. It was so good! We stayed their pretty late and I heard stories about working at their hospital, though most of the conversation was in German. But I also practiced my German with one of his sons, Freddie, and watched part of the Jungle Book in German.







Before we ate, we were just talking in their backyard and Johannes' wife mentioned that last week a fox walked into their living room. Foxes are apparently very dangerous as they can have a nasty parasite. Also I learned that they vaccinated most foxes in the area against rabies, however it caused the fox population to grow. They apparently put the vaccine in chicken heads and then put them in the forest in different places for the foxes to eat. A little after we ate and were just talking and drinking, I turned and saw a fox about 3 feet from where we were all sitting. It most likely had smelled the barbecue and wanted the meat. We scared it off but it was very apparent that it was not afraid of humans. That was the closest I've ever been to a fox, and it so strange to see one just appear out of nowhere.

After that I was pretty exhausted so I went to bed as soon as we got to Annette's place. It was so nice to see Annette and then have a good meal. However I think I was most excited about having a room to myself and not staying at a hostel. I can't wait to see what other exciting things will happen during my stay in Germany!

Daily Step Count: 11,385

Total Step Count: 207,037

No comments:

Post a Comment