Thursday, September 8, 2016

Today I saw famous people!

Today I saw famous people! (among other things in Berlin) After recovering from my lack of sleep in the last week I awoke at around 11 am ready to start my day. Annette and I had a breakfast, and then headed out to the city.

Our first stop was the hospital where Annette works: Charite Campus Virchow-Klinikum.



The campus is huge composing of many different clinics. Annette told me she likes how they artfully mix older buildings with new buildings. Annettte took me around to see her colleagues, we visited the pediatric oncology ward, the bone marrow transplant ward, and her lab!


The Künkele Lab!


AG (Aktiengesellschaft) Künkele!!

Annette's ultra-centrifuge that "looks like its from WWII but still works"
After meeting and talking with people at hospital, we then headed toward the city center of Berlin. We arrived and walked along a canal toward Museum Island.  As Annette says "Berlin has more bridges than Venice." We found a spot with chairs next to the canal and had a drink and just relaxed and sat in the sun. It was so nice.




 

After that we moved on and grabbed a quick bite to eat. We got dürüm which is like a Turkish kebab, but it was invented in Germany. Annette told me you won't find it in Turkey, but you find it everywhere here.  









We then continued our walk around the city. Annette took me everywhere, and it was nice to see that everything was very close together, and we didn't need to walk far to reach different places in the city.





Berlin Cathedral
Concert Hall
 



U.S. Embassy
Brandenburg Gate
 

Reichstag
Jewish Memorial


Piece of the Berlin Wall
Potsdamer Platz (like a fancy Pacific Place)
After that we decided to start returning home, but Annette suggested stopping at a bar she likes that overlooks the zoo before heading all the way back. We arrived at a station near the zoo and when we came up out of the station we were right next to the Berlin movie premiere of Bridget Jones' Baby. 




Annette mentioned earlier to me that Patrick Dempsey, a.k.a McDreamy, was in Berlin for a movie premiere. So was it a coincidence that we arrived here??? Regardless we decided to wait and see what happened. I had never heard of this movie before, or any of the previous movies. Annette mentioned that the first one came out years ago, and maybe they aren't popular in America?  Maybe I'll ask Matt if they are popular in the UK/if he knows what it is. Anyways we waited while people took pictures of other "famous" people we didn't know (I think the German Bachelor was there). Until finally....we saw the famous people!


Colin Firth

Renee Zellweger
Patrick Dempsey
 

I think we waited about an hour and a half, but we did it! I thought Annette was going to die when she saw Patrick Dempsey. She just kept saying "this is the closest I've been to him!!" After that we did end up at that bar for a quick drink before returning home. It was a good exciting day and so far Berlin has been great! From spending most of my trip in small cities, its nice to be in a big city again, and soon I leave for Cologne. I can't wait to explore that, and do a little work at Miltenyi!

Daily Step Count: 18,153

Total Step Count: 225,190



No comments:

Post a Comment