Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Today we skied the backcountry!

Today we skied the backcountry! We woke up early and went downstairs to breakfast. The breakfast buffet was great! They had so many options! I was focused on eating so I didn't take any pictures of the selection, but tomorrow I will for sure. I'm looking forward to it!

Breakfast!!
After breakfast we headed out to a rental shop to get skis. It was only a short walk away from our hotel. After that we dropped off our shoes in our hotel ski locker and hit the slopes! Our hotel is right next to a lift so it's super easy to access everything. It had snowed all night and there was fresh powder everywhere. However it was a bit foggy so viability wasn't the best higher up.
Our hotel



I actually had some goggle issues, so I went back to the hotel to fix them, while Harrison explored. We met back up over an hour later since Harrison was exploring the backcountry (which isn't covered by our travel insurance) and had to hike for 20 minutes back to a lift. He decided to show me where he went, and we left for a higher part of the mountain on a single seat lift.

Once we got to the top, Harrison took me to the backcountry where we had to hike a little bit, but soon found some nice snow. It was all powder and you kinda just floated down the mountain.






Most of the day we skied on fresh powered, however in parts it was pretty thick. I actually got stuck a few times. At around 2 we stopped for lunch at a lodge off of one of the chairlifts. We both decided on different curries and it hit the spot. After that we skied bit longer, but it was getting late and many of the chairs began to close. However as the sun was begging to set, the clouds cleared and we got to see the surrounding area.

Hamburg Curry
We think that is Mt. Yotei




I stopped going down the run to take pictures while Harrison pressed on. After another run it was clear that both of our legs were shot and we decided to head in for the day. We showered and decided to walk around to find a place to eat.


It's cold...
 


Our hotel room has a private open air onsen and I've been taking advantage of that. We are on the top floor of our hotel and our bath looks out to the mountains. It's so nice to just sit and look at the lights of the mountain.


Yes I'm sitting naked in our onsen taking pictures...


We started out by just walking around and exploring the area. We walked down some of the side streets near our hotel looking for a good spot for dinner. 






After much walking and finding many places to be full, we settled for a ramen shop near our hotel. We waited for a bit, but were seated quickly. The ramen was great and really hit the spot after a long day of skiing. 
kampai!
 
 
After we ate we returned to our hotel. It's wasn't too late here (9:30pm) but we were both pretty exhausted. A few minutes after we got back, I heard Harrison say "I could go to sleep now" and then suddenly as I was typing I heard snoring. I think I'll probably turn in too now. Tomorrow is another day of skiing, and maybe we'll hit up a different area nearby or explore the backcountry more. Regardless of what we do I know one thing for certain: I'm going to be sore.

Daily Step Count: 14,634
Total Step Count:  23,907



No comments:

Post a Comment