Friday, February 2, 2018

Today we went to Sapporo!

Today we went to Sapporo! We woke up this morning tired and sore. However today was our last day in Niseko. We went down to breakfast and savored our final breakfast buffet.
Final breakfast :(


We finished up breakfast and went back to our room to pack. Our room was super nice and spacious. The only complaint I have is that the toilet is far away from the sink.

The toilet is in the room to the right in the picture.


The sink is in that room to the left of the window.




We checked out of our hotel, dropped our bags off at the front, and decided to walk around town. We did some shopping and stopped off at a cafe to eat lunch. I decided on a salad since I hadn't eaten a lot of vegetables since we arrived.

Our hotel



After that we walked around more and ended up at the base lodge for the Hirafu ski resort. Harrison grabbed an ice cream while I worked on some postcards to send back home.

We grabbed our bags and headed to the welcome center to catch our bus to Sapporo. I was excited for the ride since when we went to Niseko it was dark outside and I couldn't see anything. Our bus wasn't very full so Harrison and I sat on opposite sides of the bus taking pictures of the scenery. We passed my gopro back and forth between us filming our journey as we wound through the mountains of Hokkaido.

Bye Niseko!
 








We finally made it to Sapporo and checked into our hotel. However it was very clear that we had been spoiled during our time at Niseko. Our new hotel room is small and on top of that we had a smoking room. I thought I had requested a non-smoking room, but something must have happened. When I talked to the front desk about changing they sadly told me that everything was full, but gave me an air purifier for our room. I turned it on high and opened a window in hopes of clearing out the smoke smell. We decided that we would explore Sapporo a bit since neither of us have been here before. We started off just walked around and ended up near odori park where the snow festival will be taking place.






Finally the reality that we were in Japan set in. Big city, bright lights surrounded us as we walked around. We did some shopping and then started looking for a place to eat. Harrison really wanted oden so we walked all around looking for a place to go. On some random backstreet I finally saw a lantern with the word "oden" on it an we walked into a small restaurant. We entered and sat down near the door. The chef and waitress were nice despite not speaking much English. I ordered us beers and we were given a menu. However the menu was handwritten and difficult for me to read. So I just asked for oden and the chef prepared the food for us.

Oden!!

The menu

We were given an appetizer of okra, yamakake, and clams to start us off while we waited for the oden. When we finally got the oden it looked so good and we were so hungry.
Oden!!
Hokkigai sashimi
After we finished the oden we were still a bit hungry so I started looking at the menu again. The kanji characters were hard to read, but I knew if I knew what they said, I would be able to understand the whole menu. I asked the waitress what the kanjis said and she said one group was for sashimi. We looked and decided on hokkigai or surf clam. It came out not looking like how I normally think of surf clam, but after I ate the first piece I knew why. It was so fresh! Combined with real wasabi and the fact that it was probably in the ocean this morning it was so good! This was by far the best meal we've had so far and worth the hour it took finding it. We finished up and thanked the chef and left. We decided we could go for another drink so we went to a highball bar near our hotel. We both got different types of highballs. I had one made from Yamazaki whiskey and Harrison got one made from Chita. They were both so good, but dangerous as I could probably drink at least 5 of them. 


After that we paid, stopped at 7-11 for some more snack, and then headed back to our hotel. To my surprise (and relief) the air purifier did it's job and our room no longer stunk of cigarette smoke. I'm not sure what we have planned for tomorrow, but I'm excited to explore more of Sapporo and the snow festival!

Daily Step Count: 21,436
Total Step Count: 61,177

So most of the ground here is covered in compact snow or ice. Because of this I've decided to start recording a new metric which is slipping and falling!  Harrison and I saw a news article about this on TV so since it happened to me today, I'm going to start tracking it

Jason's Falls: 1
Harrison's Falls: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment